I love all of the bomnamul (봄나물, spring greens) that come out in the markets after winter: There are so many, and they’re all so fresh and delicious.
I end up buying a lot, and they usually come in large plastic bags, so sometimes you end up with random piles of bomnamul in your fridge. Putting them into a pajeon (파전, green onion pancake) is a great way to use them up AND have a tasty snack! For a really traditional touch, serve with some makgeolli. 짠!
¼ cup glutinous rice flour
½ cup AP flour
¼ cup potato starch
1 cup ice-cold sparkling water
pinch of salt to season
1 medium squid, raw
1 handful of small shrimp, raw
1 handful of mussels, raw
A couple generous handfuls of spring greens (green onion or any greens you want)
1 red chili to garnish
A good amount of vegetable oil for frying
1. Cut seafood into bite sized pieces and blanch lightly. Set aside.
2. Cut greens into bite-sized pieces (or whatever you feel like eating).
3. Mix the flours, starch, egg and water and season with salt. Fold in seafood and greens.
4. Heat a pan on high with a generous amount of oil.
5. Spoon a thin layer of the batter into the sizzling hot pan, then flip when it starts to firm up, and the batter on top about 3 inches from the edge starts to become translucent.
6. Serve hot with seasoned soy sauce.